The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in expanding our business in East Africa or South Africa within a fast-growing, well-funded climate tech start-up. This person will be a senior member of our Developer Solutions team and will form and manage relationships with distributed renewable energy (DRE) project developers across the development lifecycle with an emphasis on securing finance, scaling procurement, and managing their assets via the Odyssey platform.
Note: We are hiring for two positions: one who will be an expert in the East African market and another who will be responsible for the South African market. The same application is used for both candidates.
Odyssey is a venture-backed climate tech company transforming distributed energy globally. We are the only end-to-end investment and asset management platform for distributed energy, offering project developers and investors a business-in-a-box solution to finance, build and operate distributed energy projects at scale across the globe. We’re facilitating more than $1bn of finance into the sector, have unparalleled market traction, and have leading investors behind us.
We are a diverse team with 16+ nationalities represented, all oriented around one major goal: to be THE platform accelerating the clean energy transition in emerging markets. We’re mission-driven, relentlessly focused on delivery, and highly collaborative and supportive of our teammates. We only hire team players with an appetite to swing big.
As private capital into the distributed renewable energy sector grows in emerging markets, Odyssey is expanding its solutions to leverage its technology and traction to become the largest global platform for deploying capital into the sector. Odyssey offers solutions for the full lifecycle of distributed renewable energy project development from planning and financing to procurement and management of assets. Having recently set up our investor platform as a separate business line to finance portfolios of Commercial and Industrial (C&I) projects across Africa, we are now increasing our geographical footprint by on-boarding project developers and EPCs to allow streamlined, scalable access to these investors and our product offerings.
We’re looking for someone who can bring experience and expertise in creating and identifying business opportunities, managing the sales process and cultivating relationships with clients.
Who You Are
You are an experienced C&I project developer or EPC professional with hands-on experience and expertise in identifying, creating, and nurturing strong business relationships in the industry. You come with a track record of delivering C&I projects to gain immediate credibility with target developers. You are analytical, results-driven, and can deliver with limited supervision.
Your role at Odyssey
Following induction into Odyssey, you will be able to demonstrate a user-level knowledge of Odyssey’s technology and tools and be able to help developers through the entire lifecycle of their projects. You will use your experience and knowledge to review current market trends and propose new business ideas. You communicate with confidence and authority while coordinating internally and externally with senior client executives to mobilise business.
- Identify and research potential clients
- Make contact, develop and maintain client relationships
- Coordinate with product teams to develop mutually beneficial proposals
- Gather useful information from customer and competitor data
- Make and give presentations to prospective clients and internal executives
- Create and implement processes and policies to support the overall business
- Track, identify and add qualified prospects to the sales pipeline
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships to grow business
- Track and report on the status of proposal components throughout the sales cycle
- Negotiate contract terms with clients and communicate with stakeholders
- Monitor product delivery teams to ensure contracts are executed as agreed
- Conduct ongoing market research to refine target segments and our approach
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in engineering, business, or a related field
- 6-8 Years’ Experience working as a client-facing C&I EPC contractor or Project Developer
- Good knowledge of Solar PV Projects from Development to Operations. Experience with equipment selection, logistics, supply-chain management, PPAs, Lease and/or Sale Agreements, and Financial proposals
- Knowledge of Estimating, Bidding, Engineering, Development, Procurement, and Finance
- Demonstrated ability in business-to-business (B2B) sales within the Solar PV industry
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to carry the company narrative
- Familiarity with project management methodologies
- Problem-solving skills to propose mutually beneficial solutions
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively for meetings with prospective and existing clients
- Demonstrable track record of sourcing and securing new business
- Ability to foster and maintain relationships with stakeholders
- Experience working across geographies and cultures
East Africa or South Africa