The Investment Associate / Senior Associate will structure and facilitate commercial financing transactions (debt, equity, guarantees) into distributed renewable energy projects through the Odyssey platform.
Odyssey is a venture-backed climate tech company transforming distributed energy globally. We are the only end-to-end investment and asset management platform for distributed energy, offering project developers and investors a business-in-a-box solution to finance, build and operate distributed energy projects at scale across the globe. We’re facilitating more than $1B of finance into the sector and have unparalleled market traction behind us.
As private capital into the distributed renewable energy sector grows, Odyssey is expanding its investor solutions to leverage its technology and traction to become THE platform for deploying capital into the sector. Odyssey offers solutions for the full lifecycle of investments, from origination to due diligence to portfolio management/monitoring. We have recently set up our investor platform as a new, separate business line to provide financiers and investors access to disaggregated asset class.
The Investment Associate / Senior Associate will help expand Odyssey’s base of financier and investor clients and assist those clients through the entire transaction lifecycle (i.e. pipeline management, deal structuring, due diligence, and investment monitoring) through the Odyssey platform. The role will report to Head of Investments but will coordinate closely with Data and Operations teams to ensure high quality service delivery to the clients.
Who You Are
You are a finance professional with project and/or corporate finance transaction experience as a principal or agent, preferably with experience in the renewable energy sector. You are a self-starter who enjoys collaborating with clients in transaction settings. You have a knack for identifying opportunities and building effective working relationships with clients. You are a hustler who closes deals. You are highly analytical, data-driven, and process-oriented. You bring strong presentation skills and can run meetings independently and effectively with key stakeholders.
This role will be the first colleague to join the Head of Investments, operating in an entrepreneurial setting to pioneer financing structures in the distributed renewable energy sector via the platform.
A. Origination and Business Development
- Assist Head of Investments in targeting investors and sell them the opportunity to access hard-to-find off-market investment opportunities in the sector through Odyssey
- Prepare and present high quality pitch documents to potential financier/investor clients
- Spearhead tracking of business development opportunities through Odyssey’s client relationship management software
B. Execution and Transaction Support
- Understand specific needs of each financier and identify portfolios for their pipeline accordingly
- Lead or facilitate pitches, beauty parades of portfolios to investor clients
- Facilitate investors’ screening and due diligence through the platform
- Adapt developer financial models to Odyssey’s format, contributing to the standardization of required financial analysis for presentation to financiers
- Provide inputs to developers to make their investment proposals compelling and fitting with investors’ criteria
- Provide inputs to investor and developer clients on structuring and terms as appropriate
- Conclude financing transactions between investors and developers
C. Ongoing relationship management
- Act as a first point of contact for a portfolio of investor clients
- Ensure investors have the benefit of ongoing investment monitoring on the platform
- Oversee and improve investor client experience on the platform
- As a trusted advisor to financiers, help resolve gaps in monitoring
D. Corporate Business Planning
- Support the Head of Investments and at times the CEO, Chief Business Officer, and Chief of Staff with financial modeling, business presentation, and other corporate engagements as needed in preparation for future company capital raises
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in finance, economics, or a related field; Masters and/or CFA preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience (or 5-7 years for Senior Associate) in project or structured finance at a commercial/investment bank, development finance institution, transaction advisor, or in the finance team of a project developer/asset owner
- Experience facilitating and/or deploying capital into energy and infrastructure projects
- Ability to construct and review project and company financial models, performing valuation, return, and debt sizing analyses
- Proven ability to lead projects independently, including leading engagements with investors and legal/technical advisors
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in French or Spanish preferred, English mandatory
Flexible, with proximity to major financial hubs such as New York and London