More than a billion people in the world do not have access to electricity. Odyssey Energy Solutions is a Boulder, Colorado-based, purpose-driven software company tackling this global challenge with a big goal: to rapidly expand access to energy around the world by streamlining and reducing the costs of developing and financing solar microgrids and other clean distributed energy systems. Since its founding in 2017, Odyssey has become an integral part of the energy access finance ecosystem. Odyssey’s big data investment and asset management platform is catalyzing the deployment of hundreds of millions of dollars into the mini-grid and solar home system sectors across Africa. Odyssey is well-funded, has significant market traction, a renowned product, and a highly collaborative, motivated team that has fun working hard together. Odyssey was also awarded the international Keeling Curve Prize for our work reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Our asset management division, known as Remote Monitoring and Control, builds hardware and software to help customers across many industries remotely monitor and control various components of their systems. For example, a mini-grid developer may install our hardware so they can monitor renewable energy generation, battery storage, actionable loads, diesel generators etc. As we bring more customers on board, we are looking to expand onboarding and ongoing support.
After years of building distributed renewable energy (DRE) projects, Emily McAteer, Odyssey CEO and founder, recognized that the challenges she faced were not hers alone - the entire DRE industry was bottlenecked by the same frictions at each stage of deployment. In 2017 she founded Odyssey Energy Solutions to address these bottlenecks at the industry level and unleash the DRE revolution.
Who You Are
Odyssey is searching for a candidate to join the customer success team for our Remote Monitoring and Control business unit. You can easily understand technical documentation and explain it in clear and simple terms to customers. You enjoy customer service, business development and are passionate about the clean energy transition and energy access. You have experience working with power systems, single line diagrams, communication schematics and common power system communication protocols.
You will be responsible for leading our customers through the communication design process and providing commissioning support. Once a new customer comes on board, you will guide them through the setup process as well as provide ongoing support to new and existing customers. As our hardware and software evolve and change, you will also help with documentation and communication of these updates.
Skills / qualifications
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in electrical or power engineering
- At least 3 years’ experience working for an EPC performing power system or communications design
- Ability to understand and experience creating single line diagrams and communication schematics
- Working with common power system communication protocol calls e.g., Modbus TCP/IP, Modbus RTU and RS232
- Understanding of technologies, such as IT networking and IIOT
- Ability to lead projects from project scope of work definition through delivery
- Proficient English in a business environment
- Proficient in French is a bonus
- Excellent communication skills with experience using virtual tools, such as Slack, Zoom, Google Drive etc.
- Well organized and punctual
- Highly motivated and able to work independently
- Experience with mini-grid or C&I applications in the DRE sector
Skills / qualifications
Location: Remotely within European/African time zones, preferably in Nairobi or elsewhere in East Africa.
Once adequately trained, provide occasional off-hours assistance to our customers. This requirement is balanced between the customer success team.